Roasted Carrot and Dill Soup
8 largecarrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1/4 colive oil
6 cvegetable stock (see recipe in "the basics")
1piece ginger, peeled and approximately 1" long
1 sprig(s)fresh thyme
1/2 largered onion, chopped
2 clovegarlic, chopped
3 Tbspfresh dill, chopped
·salt and white pepper
How to Make Roasted Carrot and Dill Soup
- Toss carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt.
- Place carrots on baking sheet and broil until soft and brown. Turn carrots every 5 minutes to ensure they do not char.
- Bring stock to a boil and add the ginger and sprig of thyme. Gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a medium stock pot, add onion and remaining olive oil and brown/caramelize onion over medium heat.
- Once the onion is caramelized, add garlic and carrots.
- Remove the ginger and thyme from the stock and pour stock over onion and carrot mixture. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until the carrots are very soft.
- Puree mixture until smooth. Adjust consistency by adding stock (if too thick) or reducing over medium heat (if too thin).
- Add chopped dill and mix well.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper. The soup should have just a little kick from the white pepper.