Roasted Carrot and Dill Soup
- 8 large
- carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 6 c
- vegetable stock (see recipe in "the basics")
- piece ginger, peeled and approximately 1" long
- 1 sprig(s)
- fresh thyme
- 1/2 large
- red onion, chopped
- 2 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp
- fresh dill, chopped
- salt and white pepper
How to Make Roasted Carrot and Dill Soup
- 1Toss carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil and generously sprinkle with salt.
- 2Place carrots on baking sheet and broil until soft and brown. Turn carrots every 5 minutes to ensure they do not char.
- 3Bring stock to a boil and add the ginger and sprig of thyme. Gently simmer for 15 minutes.
- 4In a medium stock pot, add onion and remaining olive oil and brown/caramelize onion over medium heat.
- 5Once the onion is caramelized, add garlic and carrots.
- 6Remove the ginger and thyme from the stock and pour stock over onion and carrot mixture. Bring to boil and simmer for 10 minutes or until the carrots are very soft.
- 7Puree mixture until smooth. Adjust consistency by adding stock (if too thick) or reducing over medium heat (if too thin).
- 8Add chopped dill and mix well.
- 9Adjust seasoning with salt and white pepper. The soup should have just a little kick from the white pepper.