- ea guajillo, ancho, or a combination of both, chili pods
- 10 c
- hominy, drained and rinsed 3 lbs chicken breast & thigh,
- whole head of garlic
- 8 clove
- bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp
- mexican oregano
- salt & pepper
- garnishes (can prep while pozole is cooking):
- half a small cabbage, thinly sliced one bunch cilantro, chopped 1/2 white onion, chopped 2 avocados, chopped 4 limes, quartered a bunch of red radishes, sliced thin a couple dozen tostadas.
How to Make Pozole (rojo)
- 1Fill a large 10-12 quart stockpot with 5 quarts of water. Set on heat to bring to a boil add chicken, bay leaves, 1 head of garlic & 3 tbsps of salt. cover & boil chicken for 20 mins then remove from broth, set aside to cool, shred chicken once cooled, set aside.
- 2Remove and discard the stems, seeds, and large veins from the chili, soak cleaned chili's in a bowl of warm water for 3 mins, bring a medium pot with 3 cups of water to a boil. Once the chiles have softened, submerge them in the pot with the 3 cups of boiling water for 5 mins.
- 3Prepare the red sauce by puréeing in a blender the chilies, 2 cups or so of their soaking liquid & 1 cup of the chicken broth, a teaspoon of salt, 8 cloves of garlic, 8 cloves, & 10 peppercorn.
- 4Add the red chili sauce to the pot with the hominy. Add another couple tbsp of of salt. Return to a simmer, lower the heat cover the pot Cook for 30 mins or until the hominy is tender. Skim away excess fat. Taste for seasoning and add more salt to taste (you will likely need more than you expect.
- 5Lastly add the shredded chicken back into the pot. heat thoroughly.