Pea Soup with Bacon
If you want to put on a show serve this delicious pea soup to company!
- 6 slice
- 2 slice
- white sandwich bread,processed into fine crumbs
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- to taste
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c
- finely chopped shallots
- 2 lb
- shelled fresh or frozen english peas
- 4 c
- chicken broth
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
How to Make Pea Soup with Bacon
- 1Heat a cast-iron fry pan over medium-high heat. Fry bacon till crisp and drain on toweling.
Discard all but 1 Tablespoon of the bacon grease from the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Add the bread crumbs and stir occasionally, until toasted and golden, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
- 2In a mini food processor, pulse bacon into fine bits. Stir the bacon, mint, parsley ,salt and pepper into the bread crumbs. Set aside.
- 3In a 5 1/2 quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the shallots and sauté until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the peas, broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the peas are tender , about 20 minutes. Stir in the cream.
Using an immersion blender, puree the soup until smooth.(or- Alternatively working in batches, puree the soup in a food processor until smooth). Season with salt and pepper.
- 4Ladle the soup into heatproof glasses and garnish with the bacon bread crumbs. Serve immediately.
If desired, while soup is cooking ;fry extra pieces of bacon crispy and use as garnish in each glass.