My Mama's TOMATO DUMPLINGS
- 1 can(s)
- (15 ounce), hunts diced tomatoes
- 1/2 stick
- margarine or to your taste ( sometimes i use a whole stick)
- 1 c
- 2 Tbsp
- sugar or to your taste ( i taste a little of the broth to know if i need to add more sugar)
- salt and pepper
- 2 c
- white lily self-rising flour
- 1/4 c
- crisco, chilled
- 2/3 to 3/4 c
- milk or butter milk
How to Make My Mama's TOMATO DUMPLINGS
- 1Put the can of Diced tomatoes in a medium to large saucepan.You want one big enough to let the dumplings have room to rise up.
- 2Add the margarine, sugar, salt, & pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the temp to a simmer while you make the dough.
- 3Combine flour & crisco, cut in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender, until lumps are the size pf peas.
- 4Mix in just enough milk until dough leaves sides of the bowl.( I start out with the 2/3 cup and then adjust the amount of milk, as needed).)
- 5Then turn the heat back up on the tomatoes, just enough to start a low boil.
- 6I just drop the dough in with a tablespoon. ( I don't roll it out.) Put lid on and cover the dumplings. Keep a eye on them, and you can tell by looking when they have risen and are done. DO NOT STIR IT UP.
- 7You can adjust the margarine,sugar, salt, & pepper to you taste.