My Mama's TOMATO DUMPLINGS
1 can(s)(15 ounce), hunts diced tomatoes
1/2 stickmargarine or to your taste ( sometimes i use a whole stick)
2 Tbspsugar or to your taste ( i taste a little of the broth to know if i need to add more sugar)
·salt and pepper
2 cwhite lily self-rising flour
1/4 ccrisco, chilled
2/3 to 3/4 cmilk or butter milk
How to Make My Mama's TOMATO DUMPLINGS
- Put the can of Diced tomatoes in a medium to large saucepan.You want one big enough to let the dumplings have room to rise up.
- Add the margarine, sugar, salt, & pepper. Bring to a boil, lower the temp to a simmer while you make the dough.
- Combine flour & crisco, cut in the shortening with a fork or pastry blender, until lumps are the size pf peas.
- Mix in just enough milk until dough leaves sides of the bowl.( I start out with the 2/3 cup and then adjust the amount of milk, as needed).)
- Then turn the heat back up on the tomatoes, just enough to start a low boil.
- I just drop the dough in with a tablespoon. ( I don't roll it out.) Put lid on and cover the dumplings. Keep a eye on them, and you can tell by looking when they have risen and are done. DO NOT STIR IT UP.
- You can adjust the margarine,sugar, salt, & pepper to you taste.