Kathyjo's Tomato Soup
Kathey Jo Hickey-Van Otten
20 lbfresh tomatoes
1/4 cblack pepper
1/2 ccrushed garlic
1 cbrown sugar
1/2 colive oil
2 ozchopped onion
How to Make Kathyjo's Tomato Soup
- Large canning pan half full of water. Bring to boil, and after washing, cutting tops of tomatoes, put in the water bath for about 3-5 minutes. This softens up the skin so you can take it off. It may take another batch in the water to get all the tomatoes done.
- After spooning the tomatoes out of the canning pan, place in drainer in the sink. Run cold water for it so you can handle it better. Have blender nearby, as you will place the meat of the tomato in the blender when the skin slips off. Blend on grind until smooth or a little chunky, which is what I do.
- Place in clean canner after blending it up. You can grind the onions and garlic together or with the tomatoes. Just grind them up. Add the spices and stir it all up together, with the heat medium. It can come to a soft boil and just keep stirring. Taste the tomatoes to make sure you can get the right taste you want.
- Let it cook on medium for a while, about 30 minutes or so to let the ingredients mix all together and flavor is spread throughout the soup.
- Meanwhile, in saucepan, place the 2 cubes of butter in medium heat and let it melt. Add the flour a little at a time, stirring into a roux, and pouring into the tomatoes. Mix throughly and let it simmer. It will thicken up a bit, but if need it to be more thick, then make another roux.
- Once the soup is done, ladle some into a separate pan and add about 1/2 cup grated cheese. Let it melt, and stir it throughly. Serve with buttered roll or as I do, with tuna sandwich.
- If you want to can the rest of the soup..prepare the jars and ladle the soup into the them. Clean off the tops and place the seal and lid. Place in pressure cooker and cook as instructions on your cooker says..This is quite easy, so don't panic..