Kale Soup - Portuguese Style
- 2 lb
- or 3 pounds, fresh kale
- or 5 potatoes (medium large)
- 1 can(s)
- stewed or shell beans
- 1/3 lb
- linguica (portuguese sausage)
- 1 1/2 lb
- shank bone or ham bone
PREPARE THE KALE, SEPARATING THE KALE LEAVES FROM THE MAIN STALK,RINSE SEVERAL TIMES.
IN A LARGE KETTLE, HALF FULL OF SALTED WATER, BOIL MEAT BONE AND LINGUICA TO FORM STOCK WITH ONIONS AND HALF OF POTATOES, THINLY SLICED.
How to Make Kale Soup - Portuguese Style
- 1It's important to wash the kale thoroughly in salted water, rinse several times in clear fresh water. Tear each leaf into coarse pieces, tearing away from lower stem when stem is tough.
- 2Dice or cube remaining potatoes into bite size. (Thin sliced potatoes will help to form base or thickening for soup.)
- 3Add kale leaves bring to boil and simmer 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 4Before serving, stir in can of shell or stewed beans, broth and all.
- 5Serve with coarse textured bread, with meat as side dish.
- 6variations of this soup can be made by substituting watercress, or green cabbage for kale, making Watercress Soup or Green Cabbage Soup.