Kale Soup - Portuguese Style
PREPARE THE KALE, SEPARATING THE KALE LEAVES FROM THE MAIN STALK,RINSE SEVERAL TIMES.
2 lbor 3 pounds, fresh kale
IN A LARGE KETTLE, HALF FULL OF SALTED WATER, BOIL MEAT BONE AND LINGUICA TO FORM STOCK WITH ONIONS AND HALF OF POTATOES, THINLY SLICED.
4or 5 potatoes (medium large)
1 can(s)stewed or shell beans
1/3 lblinguica (portuguese sausage)
1 1/2 lbshank bone or ham bone
How to Make Kale Soup - Portuguese Style
- It's important to wash the kale thoroughly in salted water, rinse several times in clear fresh water. Tear each leaf into coarse pieces, tearing away from lower stem when stem is tough.
- Dice or cube remaining potatoes into bite size. (Thin sliced potatoes will help to form base or thickening for soup.)
- Add kale leaves bring to boil and simmer 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Before serving, stir in can of shell or stewed beans, broth and all.
- Serve with coarse textured bread, with meat as side dish.
- variations of this soup can be made by substituting watercress, or green cabbage for kale, making Watercress Soup or Green Cabbage Soup.