1 Tbspolive oil
4 to 6green onions (scallions), trimmed and roughly chopped
2ribs of celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
4 to 8 cmixed leafy herbs, e.g. parsley, cilantro, basil, mint, field oregano, thyme, tarragon, etc.
2 can(s)fat free evaporated milk
2 cchicken broth, homemade or low-sodium
1/2 smalllemon, juice only
1/2 tspsalt, if using unsalted homemade chicken broth
How to Make Herb Bisque
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat butter and oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped green onions and celery and sweat for about 5 minutes.
- Trim any hard ends, woody stems, and brown leaves from the herbs and wash. The mix of herbs you use will affect the taste of the final soup. If you don't want a strong herb like tarragon or mint to predominate, use them sparingly.
- Add the herbs to the celery and onions and wilt thoroughly.
- Add the milk and chicken broth and bring to a simmer for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Process with an immersion blender and allow to sit, covered for 5 minutes. This will thoroughly cook the herbs.
- Serve warm. May be frozen for later use.