Healthy Potato Vegetable Soup
Ruth Ann Vokac
For variety, using this basic recipe, you can add other healthy ingredients: low- fat diced ham, broccoli, cauliflower, etc.
1/2 tspolive oil
3/4 conions, small diced
1/2 ccarrots, small dice
1 1/4 cwater,divided
2 Tbspdried parsley
2large potatoes,peeled and diced
1/2 tspseasoned salt
1/4 tsplawry's salt free 17 seasoning or comparable seasoning
1/2 ccelery, small dice
1 cfat-free milk
1 cvelveeta queso blanco or flavor of your choice, diced (or substitute any good melting cheese of your choice.)
How to Make Healthy Potato Vegetable Soup
- Heat a large sauce pan, and add olive oil. When it is warm, add the onions. Sauté on med-low for about 10 minutes.
- Add carrots to the pan and continue to sauté onions and carrots for 5 more minutes.
- To the onions and carrots, add 3/4 cup water, diced potatoes, salt, dried parsley and Lawry's Salt-Free 17 Seasoning. Raise heat to medium and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are VERY tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add the diced celery and 1/2 cup water to a small sauce pan. Cook until the celery is tender. Set aside.
(I like to cook the celery separately because the rest of the vegetables will be partially mashed.)
- When the potatoes are very soft, use a fork or potato masher to partially mash the vegetables in the large pot. Then add the cooked celery and its water.
- Next, add the milk and cheese and pepper. Turn heat to low, and let all the ingredients cook slowly until all the cheese is melted and all the flavors have blended, maybe 10 more minutes. Stir occasionally, making sure the bottom of the soup doesn't stick to the pot.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Add a dash more milk if you like a thinner soup.