Gram's Scots broth
- 2 lb
- lamb stew meat -- neck is what i use for the bones
- 1/4 c
- pearl barley, uncooked not quick barley
- onions- large yellow
- carrot, sliced
- celery stalks include tops
- 1 c
- frozen peas
How to Make Gram's Scots broth
- 1Trim excess fat from lamb pieces, but leave a little fat for flavor.
In a large heavy pot cover lamb, onions and barley with water. Add about 1 tsp kosher slat if desired. Bring to a boil over medium heat, cover and cook about 1 1/2 hrs, or until meat separates from bone easily. During boiling process, remove any "scum" from top. Remove from heat, clean off above liquid level on pot, and chill til the following day
- 2One second day, remove solid fat pieces carefully, along with onions. On medium heat add other ingredients and bring to a slow simmer. Cook for at least 1/2 hour, or until carrots are tender and peas are cooked. Serve with biscuits or crusty bread.