Gingered and Curried Butternut and Potato Soup
8 cbutternut squash, peeled and cubed
6 tspolive oil, (divided)
1 largeonion, chopped
2 Tbspfresh ginger, minced
3 tspcurry powder
1/2 tspblack pepper
3 largepotatoes, peeled and cubed
7 cchicken broth
1bulb of roasted garlic
How to Make Gingered and Curried Butternut and Potato Soup
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Fry bacon very crispy, crumble and set aside.
- Place squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 4 teaspoons of the olive oil and toss to coat. Roast for 30 minutes stirring occasionaly. Test for tenderness; cook 5 or 10 minutes longer until tender. Set aside
- Cut the top of the bulb of garlic, drizzle with olive oil and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Place on baking sheet with the squash and roast along side.
- Put remaining olive oil and butter in a soup pot. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes or until translucent. Stir in ginger, curry, salt and pepper, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in potaotes; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the roasted squash, squeeze in roasted garlic and stir. Puree small batches in a blender or puree with an emersion blender until smooth. If it seems to be too thinck you can add a little milk or a little more stock.
- Garnish with bacon.
- Serve with a nice crusty bread.