German Potato Soup
5 lbpotatoes, peeled and chopped
3 lbcarrots, peeled and chopped
1 bunchcelery, washed and chopped
1 bunchgreen onions (white and light green parts only)
1celery root, cleaned and chopped
4leeks, cleaned and chopped (white and light green parts)
1 lbbacon fried crisp and crumbled (reserve fat)
1 lbbulk pork sausage, formed into small meatballs and sauteed
1 mediumonion diced
1 bunchfresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tspsalt, pepper, garlic powder & dill ( can add more to taste if preferred
How to Make German Potato Soup
- Prepare first six ingredients and add to a large stockpot. Add a large pinch of salt and sweat the vegetables over low heat till they start to release their juices
- Add enough water to the stock pot to double the coverage of the vegetables , cover and raise the heat till the water starts to boil. Let boil till all vegetables are fork tender.
- Puree vegetables and the vegetable broth in a blender till the consistancy of porridge. (will need to do this in batches.)
- In a large sauce pan, fry bacon till crisp and set aside on paper towels to drain. Then fry up the sausage meatballs setting them aside as well.
- In about 3 tbsp of the reserved bacon fat, sautee the onion and parsley till onion is clear.
- Add the Bacon, Sausage meatballs, onion, parsley, Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Dill to the soup and let simmer for 10- 20 minutes to give the flavors a chance to marry. Pair it with a nice crusty bread and you have a very hearty meal.
- This recipe makes 20 servings. It can be cut in half, and it does freeze well. When reheating it - I prefered to reheat it over the stove but you need to make sure you mash the soup back into the liquid because during the thawing process , the potato tends to seperate from the liquid. Can be reheated in the microwave as well. Enjoy!