Eileens Green Split Pea Soup
- 1 pkg hurst's split peas
- 12 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 carrot, diced
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 to 2 tsps salt
- 1/4th to 1/2 tsp pepper
- enclosed ham packet
- * you can add diced ham too for extra flavor.
How to Make Eileens Green Split Pea Soup
- 1Please rinse peas and remove debris before using the peas. comebine split peas,water,chopped onion,diced carrots,and butter. Cover(not too tightly),heat to boiling and boil rapidly 30 minutes.
- 2Add enclosed packet of Ham flavoring with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes. stir occasionally.
- 3Taste-test to see that soup is smooth. If you wish it to be very smooth,you can puree it. Serve piping hot. If desired, croutons may be added as a garnish. Great,too, served ice-cold topped with chopped chives or green onions.
- 4to make it my own I add diced potatoes,I use about 4 to 6 medium. I also add canned Ham already diced up and add different spices to enhance the flavor.I make hot biscuts or french bread to make it a complete meal. This soup never last long in my house.