Crock Pot Lentil Soup
Blue Ribbon Recipe
So easy yet SO tasty! Don't let the simple ingredients fool you; this is one dynamite soup! The Test Kitchen
1 lbbag of lentils
4 cchicken broth
1 Tbspolive oil
2stalks of celery
1 dash(es)black pepper
1 cadditional water or chicken broth
How to Make Crock Pot Lentil Soup
- Place 1 bag of lentils (about 2 cups) in your crock pot with the 4 cups of chicken broth and 4 cups of water.
- Cut up onion, celery and carrots and mince fine in a food processor or by hand. Saute the veggies in a large frying pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until soft. Add them to the crock pot.
- Stir everything up and add the hamhock. Cook on low all day. (I put mine in at 7 in the morning and we didn't eat it until nearly 9 that night. It will be fine.)
- After it has cooked between 6 and 8 hours take out the hamhock and get rid of the fat and bone. Chop up the meat and put it back in with the lentils. Add the salt and pepper to taste. I found 2 teaspoons of salt was just right but a saltier hamhock may mean you don't need to add as much salt.
- Add another 1 to 2 cups of chicken broth or water to thin it back down to soup consistency at this point and allow to simmer a little longer. Serve it up, top it with sour cream and enjoy!