Caldo Verde (my version)
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- small chorizo sausages (i prefer goya brand)
- 1 large
- white onion (rough chop)
- 3 clove
- garlic (sliced)
- 1 Tbsp
- 2 can(s)
- large, chicken stock
- small bag fingerling potatoes (cut in half)
- bag baby carrots (sliced)
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1 can(s)
- white beans
- 1 bunch
- kale (rinsed and chopped, ribs removed)
- pinch saffron threads
- white vinegar (to taste)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
How to Make Caldo Verde (my version)
- 1In large soup pot, heat olive oil and add sliced chorizo. Cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned, stirring often. Transfer sausage to plate and set aside.
- 2Lower heat to medium and add chopped onion, cooking until just tender. Add sliced garlic cloves and paprika for an additional 3 minutes or so.
- 3Add chicken stock to onion mixture in pot, add sliced carrots, potatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Remove about a cup of warm liquid from pot and add saffron threads to cup to soak.
- 4When potatoes are almost tender, add chopped kale (it will cook down), white beans, cooked chorizo, saffron infused broth and salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes.
- 5Add white vinegar, one cap full at a time, to taste.
- 6Top with parm cheese and serve with rustic bread. (optional)