Awaken the Passion Mushroom Soup
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This is such a rich and decadent soup! Morels were no where to be found when we prepared this recipe, but we easily substituted extra baby portabellos instead.
Thanks to the saffron, this recipe can be a bit pricey to make, but it's a wonderful splurge for a special evening. The Test Kitchen
- 1/2 c
- morels, finely sliced
- 2 1/2 c
- baby portabellas, sliced
- 1/2 medium
- yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 stalk(s)
- 1/2 Tbsp
- sage leaves
- 1 1/2 c
- + 1 tbsp marsala, divided
- 2 c
- beef broth
- 1/4 stick
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Awaken the Passion Mushroom Soup
- 1In a small saucepan, reconstitute morels in beef stock with a tablespoon of the marsala. Bring to boil, stir, and then reduce to a simmer and cover. This will take approximately 20 minutes.
- 2Sauté diced onions and celery in half of the butter and half of the olive oil over medium high heat in a medium-sized pan until softened. Season as desired.
- 3Add portabellos to the onions and celery and over medium heat cook 7-9 minutes or until soft and moist, stir occasionally.
- 4Turn heat to medium high and add the rest of the marsala, cook uncovered for three minutes.
- 5Add saffron and reduced the heat to medium, cooking for an additional ten minutes.
- 6Thinly slice prepared morels and add them to the soup.
- 7Bring the heat back to high and whisk in the flour, letting it cook for a few minutes. Swirl in the rest of the butter and the olive oil. Serve hot and add sage on top for a garnish. (note: if you want to purée this together (maybe with a little cream), you can. Just re-heat and serve. I happen to like the textures and rustic-feeling pieces of mushrooms.)