DECADENT SEAFOOD GUMBO (no tomato, no bell pepper)
- 3 lb
- raw shrimp, thawed, peeled, deveined & shells reserved
- 3 lb
- crab legs
- 1 c
- olive oil (not evoo)
- 1 1/2 c
- unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 c
- chopped onion (or more)
- 10 c
- water (or more) reserved from boiled crab legs & shrimp shells
- 3 box
- frozen sliced okra (or equal amount of fresh)
- 3 c
- diced celery (or more)
- 2 Tbsp
- salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp
- cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 1/2 - 3 tsp
- filé powder (powdered sassafras leaves; pronounced "fee lay")
- cooked white or brown rice, 3/4 to 1 cup per serving
How to Make DECADENT SEAFOOD GUMBO (no tomato, no bell pepper)
- 5Use a nut-cracker, kitchen shears and a nut pick to remove all meat from shells to a bowl; cover and refrigerate. Discard crab shells.
- 10Return to high heat; stir until roux blends well with water.
- 12Bring to boiling, lower heat to medium/medium low; cover and simmer for about 3 hours (or 2 to 4 hours,) stirring occasionally and adding water, as needed.
- 13After simmering for 2 to 4 hours, add seafood and simmer for additional 1/2 hour or so. Taste to determine if extra salt or cayenne pepper is needed.