SPARGELSUPPE (WHITE ASPARAGUS SOUP)
If you can't find this asparagus in a local market, you may have to search online. I am told it can be very expensive, which would automatically make it quite a delicacy.
Recipe & photo: About.com/germanfood
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb
- white asparagus, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces, heads reserved
- 6 c
- broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 c
- salt and pepper, to taste
- dry white wine, to taste
- parsley for garnish
How to Make SPARGELSUPPE (WHITE ASPARAGUS SOUP)
- 1Make sure you peel the asparagus before you chop it into small pieces. The thicker the asparagus, the better for peeling.
- 2In a 4-qt. saucepan, saute the onion in butter until soft. Add the pieces of asparagus, minus the heads, and steam for 5 minutes. Add the broth and boil gently for about 30 minutes, or until the asparagus is very soft.
- 3Puree the soup in batches in the blender (place a towel over the lid and hold down the lid so the hot soup does not splatter) or with a hand blender and return to pan.
- 4Bring soup to a simmer and add the reserved asparagus heads. Cook at least 5 minutes, or until they are fork-tender. Turn down the heat and add the cream. Do not boil further.
- 5Taste and add salt and freshly ground pepper as needed. You may also want to add a few spoonfuls of white wine, if you think the soup needs acidity. Garnish with parsley and serve while hot.