Creamed Soup Basic Formula
The kind of soup it becomes depends on what you put in it.
- 1 c
- chopped vegetable(s)
- 2 Tbsp
- olive oil or unsalted butter (optional)
- 4 oz
- cooked meat (optional)
- 1 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- 1 can(s)
- fat-free evaporated milk
- to taste
- salt & pepper and other additions
How to Make Creamed Soup Basic Formula
- 1In a soup pot on medium heat, saute the diced vegetables in the olive oil or butter until the vegetables are "al dente." If you are using potatoes or other slow-cooking vegetable, add a few tablespoons of water, cover, and steam to finish cooking the vegetables.
- 2Optionally, dice or break the meat into small pieces and add to the vegetables.
- 3Mix the water and flour until the lumps are gone. This can be done with a whisk or by shaking the flour and water together in a jar.
- 4Pour the floured water and the evaporated milk into the vegetables and meat. Stir to mix.
- 5Bring to a simmer and turn the heat down to medium low. Continue to simmer slowly, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until the flour has been fully cooked and the soup has thickened.
- 6Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper and other additions. Serve hot.
- 7Some suggestions:
Variation 1: Diced leeks, potatoes and ham
Variation 2: Mushrooms, onions, and turkey
Variation 3: Corn, potatoes, onion, and bacon
Variation 4: Onions, potatoes, and haddock (start with raw fish)
Variation 5: Celery, shallots, and cumin (no meat)
Variation 6: Spinach, roasted garlic, grated parmesan and nutmeg (no meat)