Cream of Celery Soup with Madeira Wine
- 1 lb
- fresh celery stocks
- 1 medium
- yukon gold potato
- 2 Tbsp
- coconut oil
- 1 medium
- sweet onion roughly chopped
- 1 large
- clove garlic, smashed and chopped
- 4 oz
- madeira wine
- 1 qt
- chicken stock
- celtic seasalt to taste
- fresh white pepper to taste
- 1-13.5 oz
- can organic coconut milk
How to Make Cream of Celery Soup with Madeira Wine
- 1Cut the celery stocks in the same size pieces, about 1" or so. Try to get them the same size to ensure even cooking.
- 2Cut up the Yukon Gold potato approx. the same size as the celery.
- 3In a heavy-bottomed pot heat the coconut oil over low-medium heat.
- 4Add the chopped onion, garlic and celery and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until the onion is transucent. Stir continuously so it won't burn.
- 5Add in the Madeira wine and cook for another minute or two, until the wine reduces to half (1/4 cup). Don't worry about this if you can't judge, just follow the times.
- 6Add the soup stock and potato and increase the heat to medium-high and simmer the soup for 15 minutes or until the celery and potato is soft enough to pierce with a fork. But don't let it get mushy.
- 7Remove from the heat and let it sit for a bit to cool. You can either puree this in batches in a blender or do as I did and use a stick blender and puree the veggies right in the pot. It's easier.
- 8Add the coconut milk to the cooled soup and puree it again with the stick blender or a small hand mixer. It will ensure the coconut milk will be well mixed into the soup.
- 9Season with the salt and pepper if you like and add some toasted croutons for some added flavor.
- 10Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 11Note: You can add rice as an alternative to the potato if you like. Just substitute 1/3 cup of uncooked rice to the soup and cook until the rice is soft.