A+ Root Soup
Blue Ribbon Recipe
If you love sweet potatoes and carrots, then you will adore this recipe. I can just imagine settling in on a cold night with a big, steamy bowl... sigh. The Test Kitchen
2 lbcarrots- sliced
2 largesweet potatoes - about 2lbs
1 Tbspolive oil
1 clovefresh garlic - or equivalent-optional
6 cchicken stock
1/2 clight sour cream-optional
·salt and pepper to taste
justa pinchherbes de provence
How to Make A+ Root Soup
- Place sliced carrots in microwave safe container, add a splash of water, cover and microwave about 10 minutes.
Or use any cooked carrots.
- The sweet potatoes can also be microwaved. Place on a plate and cover with a paper towel. Microwave until soft - they will smell great - about 8 minutes.
Or use leftover baked sweet potatoes. Feel free to add left over boiled or baked white potatoes too.
- Saute onion in olive oil and butter in a large,heavy sauce pan until rich in color to develop flavor (just short of burning) add garlic near end of cooking, and pour in the six cups of chicken stock.
- Add carrots and potatoes. Let everything simmer about 10 minutes and then use your immersion blender to create a puree. If you have a conventional blender,divide into batches and return puree to the same pan.
- Salt and/or pepper to taste. Use white pepper if you are concerned about black specks in your beautiful orange soup. Let soup simmer 20 minutes or so.
- Serve plain or add a dollop of sour cream to each serving. You might want to get fancy and apply sour cream (thinned with milk) with a squirt bottle to make designs on your soup. A sprinkle of parsley or pinch of herb de provence can top it all off.