Shrimp and Scallop Chowder With Coconut Milk
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 lb
- uncooked medium shrimp
- 1 lb
- large sea scallops
- scotch bonnet pepper, seeded and minced
- shallots, peeled and minced
- 2 clove
- garlic, peeled and minced
- green onions, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and minced
- 1 small
- red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small
- green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- curry powder
- 6 c
- fish stock (or bottled clam juice)
- 2 c
- coconut milk, unsweetened
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 c
- cilantro, for garnish
How to Make Shrimp and Scallop Chowder With Coconut Milk
- 1Peel and devein the shrimp and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- 2Cut large scallops in quarters, medium sized ones in half, so that all are the same size. NOTE: Bay scallops (the small ones) may be used if sea scallops not available. No need to cut, since they are usually about the same size.
- 3Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Cook chile, shallots, garlic, scallions, ginger and bell peppers over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until soft but not browned.
- 4Add the curry powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- 5Add the fish stock ( or clam broth) and coconut milk and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- 6Just before serving, add the shrimp and scallops. Gently simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the shellfish is firm. Add salt, pepper and more curry powder to taste.
- 7Ladle the chowder into bowls and garnish each with chopped cilantro.