Maine Corn Chowder
How to Make Maine Corn Chowder
- Using a good sized kettle or soup pot, place 2 slices salt pork in it and cook slowly over low heat until fat is 'tried out'.
- Remove the pieces of salt pork and set aside.
- Add the onion to the pot and cook slowly until the onion is yellowed.
- Add water raw potato, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a steaming point.
- Lower heat and cook until potato is tender. About 15 minutes.
- Add creamed corn and then the quart of milk. Substiture evaporated milk for some of the regular milk for extra richness, if you wish.
- Taste for seasoning and then add the butter. Reheat slowly.
- Allow chowder to ripen for an hour to develop flavor.