Traditional Chicken Broth or Vegetable Soup
★★★★★ 2 votes5
1/2pot of water (whatever size you use)
5 or 6any cut of chicken (legs, wings, breasts, anything)
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 Tbsppoultry seasoning
1 Tbspparsley flakes
1 tspground sage
1 tspthyme, dried
1 tspdill seed
1 tsprosemary, dried
How to Make Traditional Chicken Broth or Vegetable Soup
- Fill the pot half full of water. Add the (frozen) chicken and spices, stir so the seasonings sink into the water.
- Using a pressure cooker: Put the lid on, turn it up to full steam, then turn it down to light steam for about 20 minutes. The chicken will be fall apart tender.
- This may be done without a pressure cooker, but will take a few hours of cooking time to finish. Just test with a fork to see if the chicken falls apart -- that is the sign it is done.
- SERVE: as broth alone, or broth with chicken pieces, or put some of the broth and chicken in another pot and add vegetables (green beans, celery, carrot, broccoli, peas, anything you can think of) and noodles, or rice and cook until tender to make a filling meal.
- If you must skip any one of the spices -- don't skip the poultry seasonings -- or the dill seed -- that is what gives it its truly unique and homey flavor. Enjoy!!