Hungarian "Old School" Chicken Soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- whole chicken cut up
- 1 bunch
- parsnip greens- tied together with thread
- 10 clove
- fresh garlic peeled
- lg-med. carrots peeled and cut up
- 1 large
- whole onion- only skin removed and ends cut off
- celery stalks- cleaned and chopped
- parsnips-peeled and chopped
- 2 small
- potatoes peeled and left whole
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- hungarian red paprika- for color and taste
How to Make Hungarian "Old School" Chicken Soup
- 1Set up a large pot of water to boil chicken in once it's cut up. I do not use the wings. Add chicken to water and bring to a rapid boil for about a good 30 mins. Skim the foam off of the top of the soup broth and discard. Keep doing this til the chicken stops produceing the foam.
- 2Once the foam is gone, add the parsnip greens,garlic,paprika,onion,salt and pepper to taste. Bring down to a slow boil for about 1 1/2 hours.
- 3Once the onion starts getting soft, add the carrots, parsnips and celery and continue to slow boil until veggies start to get soft, then add the potatoes, this is when I remove the chicken from the soup and debone and skin the meat. You can add all the meat back to the soup when the potatoes are done and serve over large noodles or the small thin soup noodles, which ever you prefer. *NEVER ADD NOODLES TO SOUP TO COOK* Please boil them in a different pot. Keep noodles seperate in a bowl. Enjoy!!