Hearty Chicken and Dumplings
This is very filling and tasty, but leftovers are uncommon! If you do have leftovers, be advised that the dumplings do not reheat well.
If it gets too thick, or you need a little more, add more milk or more water!
- chicken breast, skinless and boneless (can use any kind but i find this works best)
- chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 c
- instant mashed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp
- butter or margarine
- 3 c
- milk (whole or skim)
- dough for your favorite biscuits
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 c
How to Make Hearty Chicken and Dumplings
- 1make your favorite biscuit dough
- 2divide the dough in half (half for the dumplings, half to bake as biscuits!)
- 3on a floured area, roll the biscuit dough to a half inch thickness
- 4cut the biscuit dough into bite size pieces (remember to reserve some dough aside if you want to bake biscuits to go with your soup!)
- 5In a large pot, melt the butter on medium heat
- 6add the chicken breast
- 7turn frequently - don't let it get too brown, but a little is okay
- 8when it is white all over (a little pink showing is okay) remove it from the pot and dice it to bite size pieces
- 9return the chicken to the pot
- 10add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil
- 11once it boils, add the bouillon cubes
- 12add the milk and continue to heat
- 13once it starts to bubble, drop the biscuit pieces into the liquid, stirring to keep them from sticking together
- 14once all the dumplings are in the liquid, add the instant potatoes
- 15Add the flour from the biscuit rolling area to your soup for added thickness!
- 16cook 5 more minutes then move off the heat
- 17add salt and pepper before serving, or place it on the table for your guests to add as they desire!
- 18serve with biscuits or crackers