Mertzie's Healthy lemon chicken soup, Greek style
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- cups chicken broth or stock
- onion, whole
- tsp fresh ginger (or more)
- 2 Tbsp
- dried greek spices (such as mccormick's)
- pinch, saffron
- pinch, cayenne or red pepper flakes
- ground black pepper
- large cooked chicken breast or dark meat (see below)
- half jar sundried tomatoes (drained & chopped)
- 2 Tbsp
- or more roasted red pepper bruschetta (i buy a jar of it & keep on hand in my fridge for adding to tons of dishes)
- cups fresh spinach, rough chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- parsley, rough chopped
- half of a lemon (for juice)
- water to taste
How to Make Mertzie's Healthy lemon chicken soup, Greek style
- 1Cook the chicken broth with the onion, ginger, Greek spices, saffron, and red & black pepper for about 10 mins over med-med high. Get this to the broth taste you want, adding more spices or water or chicken bouillon cubes so it suits your tastebuds.
- 2Tear up the chicken breasts (I used a large chicken breast from a rotisserie chicken & then some pieces of the dark meat). Saved the rest of the chicken for sandwiches next day.
- 3Add the chicken, sundried tomatoes, and red pepper bruschetta to the soup. Stir well & simmer for about 5-10 mins. Taste the soup again to ensure you're liking the flavor -- I added more bruschetta, as I love that.
- 4Toss in the spinach and stir. Then add the parsley & stir. Squirt the lemon juice over top & turn off heat. Stir & it's ready to serve. I also added a little Hungarian paprika, because I use paprika in almost everything, and wanted the soup to have extra spices.
- 5Note: You can add orzo to this. Or sprinkle w/ crumbled feta cheese on top of each bowl of soup. I didn't, as I wanted to keep it as light as possible. Enjoy!