Cream of Chicken Soup with wild rice and mushrooms
1/2 cuncooked wild rice
13-4 pound whole chicken
12 ozmushrooms (portabella or any you like)
2 Tbspvegetable oil
1 cchopped onion
1 cchopped celery
6chicken bullion cubes (or 2 tablespoons instant)
3/4 tspwhite pepper
1/2 call purpose flour
3/4 cdry white wine
How to Make Cream of Chicken Soup with wild rice and mushrooms
- Cook wild rice according to directions except cook for only 30 minutes. Drain and set aside
- Combine whole chicken and 7 cups of water in large pan. Cook chicken until fully cooked. Remove chicken keeping the broth in the pan. De-bone the chicken meat and set aside. ( you can boil the chicken and de-bone it while the wild rice is cooking)
- Cook mushrooms in hot oil for 4-5 minutes till tender.
Add onion and celery. Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes until tender, stirring once. Remove from heat.
- Add wild rice to broth stir in bullion,white pepper and salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Simmer uncovered 15 minutes.
- In the same sauce pan that the wild rice cooked, melt the 1 stick of butter. Stir in flour all at once and whisk until smooth. Add milk all at once and stir constantly until thickened and bubbly. This will take a few minutes, but once it starts to thicken it goes quickly. Do not burn!
- Stir flour milk mixture into chicken broth, Stirring to blend. Add reserved chopped chicken and wine. Heat through.
As with all soups, this gets better as it stands.