Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 1/2 lb
- boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs or combo (i prefer combo)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 clove
- garlic crushed or minced
- 1 medium
- onion diced
- 1/2 medium
- bell pepper diced
- 1/2 stalk(s)
- celery rib chopped
- whole serrano chile (optional)(dice for more spicy soup)
- 2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 box
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp
- oil (i prefer canola)
- 1 can(s)
- 14.5 oz diced tomatoes with juice (for spicy flavor can substitute 1 can rotel tomatoes and green chilies)
- 1/4 bunch
- fresh cilantro leaves chopped and added to soup 10 minutes prior to serving
- handful tortilla chips, hand crushed or 1 plain corn tortilla
- 1 Tbsp
- grated cheese (any kind is fine - monterrey jack is my choice)
- 1 Tbsp
- sour cream to taste
- 1 Tbsp
- avocado diced into chunks
OPTIONAL ADD-INS TO EACH BOWL OF SOUP
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1Turn on crock pot to high to warm. I spray non stick cooking spray to sides and bottom or use a crock pot liner for easy cleanup. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, cumin, tomatoes, and broth. Add serrano(optional)
- 2Add oil to pan and sprinkle salt and pepper over the chicken. Brown chicken on both sides. Once brown (about 5-8 minutes each side)with no pink outside, transfer to crock pot on top of other ingredients. Stir and water to 1 inch from the top of the crock pot and cover.
- 3Cook in crock pot on high for 4 hours or cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- 4Just before serving, remove chicken from soup and cut into smaller bite size pieces and return to soup. Add cilantro and cover for 10 minutes.
- 5This is a healthy chicken soup when served as is. Sprinkle a few tortilla chips or if you prefer to go lean, cut up a corn tortilla into small bite size pieces and add to your hot soup.
- 6Additional optional add-in ingredients include grated cheese, diced avocado, sour cream. Of course these all add to the caloric count of this soup. Hope you enjoy!