Chicken, Beans and Greens Soup
I also shared the recipe with a local coffee shop and they tell of repeat customers who've enjoyed it!
- 1 can (14.5 oz) italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup each coarsely chopped carrots, celery, & leeks/onions
- 1 lb. skinned boneless chicken breast cut in 1/2 inch chunks (if you use a family-sized rotisserie chicken, it makes a double batch)
- 8 cups chicken stock (not broth)
- 1 cup ditalini or other small pasta (caution: use less if you use acini de pepe since it swells terrifically!)
- 4 cups loosely packed, chopped greens (bagged mixed ones or mustard, turnip, collard, escarole) or even spinach work well & fast!
- 1 can (19 oz) white kidney beans (cannellini) or any other favorite, undrained
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- (topping: grated parmesan cheese)
- 1 cup each chunked yellow and zucchini squash and colored sweet peppers
How to Make Chicken, Beans and Greens Soup
- 1Heat olive oil in large stockpot over medium heat; add carrots & squash and saute until slightly softened.
- 2Add garlic and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- 3Add rest of chopped raw veggies (except greens, and beans which come later, almost at the end)and cook 3-4 minutes until almost tender.
- 4Add chicken and cook 3 minutes, stirring often, until opaque.
- 5Pour in chicken stock and tomatoes, increase heat to high, cover and bring to a boil.
- 6Add pasta, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente.
- 7Stir in greens and simmmer uncovered, stirring periodically, 20 minutes until greens are tender. Add undrained beans, salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes longer
until heated through.
- 8Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, if desired. Very filling! I prep and prepare this through cooking the chicken, add tomatoes and stock, chill & complete it the next day, then adding the pasta.