Basic Chicken Stock
Though she was a very good cook, & I learned a lot from her, she didn't "teach" me to cook. Bake, yes. But not cook. But I was very observent when she was in the kitchen, and wanted to know "how do you make....?"
And since she had very few recipes written down, I took notes.
When I started cooking, I noticed canned chicken broth didn't taste like grandma's! This is soo much better, & easy to make!
- 3 lb
- chicken backs, & necks
- 4 stalk(s)
- celery ribs, coarsly chopped
- carrots, peeled & sliced thick
- 2 medium
- yellow onions, cut in quarters
- peppercorns, whole black
How to Make Basic Chicken Stock
- 1Rinse chicken pieces with hot water. Place in large stock pot & add 4 quarts of water. And all other ingredients.
- 2Bring to a slow boil, boil about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer on low heat for 2 hours. Stirring occasionally.
- 3Remove bones from stock. Skim froth off the top. Strain broth through a fine strainer to remove vegetables. Use to make soups, stews, whatever calls for chicken broth. Can store in refridgerator up to a week. Freezes well.
NOTE: Do not add salt while cooking broth, wait until preparing meal with the broth then add to your taste if you wish.