BARLEY SOUP WITH HAM
3 Tbspvegetable oil
2 clovegarlic coursley chopped
2celery stalks diced
3/4 cbarley, medium pearl
6 cchicken stock, light
1 smallbay leaf
1/4 tspallspice ground
1/2 cham, smoked and diced
3 Tbspbutter unsalted
1/3 lbmushrooms chopped
3 tsplemon juice
1 Tbspparsley fresh and chopped
How to Make BARLEY SOUP WITH HAM
- Put the oil and onion in a soup kettle set over low heat and cook until the onions are softened, 5 minutes.
- Raise heat to medium, stir in garlic and carrots and stir, cook for i minute.
- Add the celery and stir, cook for a minute then add the barley, stock, bay leaf, allspice.
- Bring to a boil skimming off the top if necessary. Simmer covered foe about 1 hour or until barley is tender.
- (THE SOUP MAY BE PREPARED IN ADVANCE TO THIS POINT).
- Stir the ham into the piping hot soup and let simmer while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet add the mushrooms and lemon juice and stir. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. stir in parsley.
- Add the mushroom mixture to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- REMOVE AND DISCARD THE BAY LEAF.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into warmed bowls and serve.