Avgolemono (Greek Chicken and Rice Soup)
Rose M. Helle
Super easy to make.
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 8 c
- (2qts) low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds) cut into very small chunks
- 3 c
- cooked white rice
- 4 large
- 1/2 c
- fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 c
- minced fresh parsley
- 3/4 c
- frozen peas, thawed
- kosher salt, and ground black pepper
How to Make Avgolemono (Greek Chicken and Rice Soup)
- 1In large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, or until slightly golden. Add the broth, then increase the heat to high and bring to a simmer.
- 2Reduce the heat to medium and keeping the broth at a simmer, add the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is mostly cooked through. Add the cooked rice and stir well. Return to a gentle simmer.
- 3In a medium bowl,beat the eggs until smooth, then beat in the lemon juice. Working quickly, whisk the egg mixture while you drizzle in a ladleful of the hot broth from the pot. Drizzle in another ladleful,whisking all the while, then transfer the hot egg-lemon mixture back to the pot, whisking as you add it. Bring to a simmer over medium heat..
- 4Stir in the parsley and peas, then return to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, then serve hot.