TSCHI (RUSSIAN CABBAGE SOUP)
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 to 1 lblean stew beef, cut in small pieces
2 mediumpotatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
1 smallhead green cabbage, chopped
2 mediumcarrots, grated
2 mediumonions, chopped
2 Tbspvegetable oil
2 Tbsptomato paste
5 clovegarlic, minced
1 pinchblack pepper
·sour cream for garnish
How to Make TSCHI (RUSSIAN CABBAGE SOUP)
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, bring water to a boil and add meat. Over low heat, let the meat simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 hours.
- Raise heat and add potatoes and cabbage. When water boils again, reduce heat to low and cover.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium skillet and add the grated carrots and chopped onions. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste and cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the contents of the skillet to the soup pot. Add salt, pepper, and garlic. Let simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with a dollop of sour cream.
- NOTE: If you don't have any meat, you may use canned beef broth (half water/half broth), or one can of stewed beef. Put the vegetables together with the broth or canned meat and cook for 40 minutes.