Simple Beef Barley Soup
How to Make Simple Beef Barley Soup
- Dice your beef up into small pieces. I use the strips from the store that they have labeled for stir fry, but you can use any beef diced up small. Brown it in the bottom of your soup pot with a small dash of oil. Sprinkle Adobo powder on the beef as it browns, to taste. We like the flavor so I use rather a lot. Not everyone likes it as much.
- Pour in both cartons of beef broth. Drain the liquid off both cans of mixed vegetables and add them. Stir up and bring to a boil.
- Once the mixture is boiling, lower heat and simmer for approximately an hour. Add water as needed.
- Bring back up to a slow boil and add barley. If not enough water to make soup consistency, add more water. Cover and allow to boil for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Serve hot with crusty bread or crackers for a warm winter soup. Yum!
- Note - after the soup sits, the barley will continue to soak up the broth. You can add more beef broth or water to make more broth. The more water you add, the less flavor, the more beef broth the stronger. Some people don't like a very strong beef flavor, so add water.