John's Beef And Onion Soup
3 cyellow onion
3 Tbspunsalted butter
3 Tbspall purpose flour
1 Tbspworcestershire sauce
1 tspblack pepper
32 ozbeef broth
4beef bullion cubes
1/2 lbbeef strips
How to Make John's Beef And Onion Soup
- Slice or dice a large yellow onion or three small ones. Set aside. Slice beef strips to desired size (about 1/3 sized is fine).
- Cook beef in a skillet until done. Add butter and onions to the beef and cook until the onions are translucent or golden brown depending on taste.
- Combine beef broth/stock and 1/2 cup water in a 2-2 1/2qt stock pot. Warm broth and add flour while stirring. Add butter, beef, and onions mixture to it. Stir.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and sugar to the pot while stirring.
- Bring pot to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook an additional ten minutes adding beef billion cubes to taste at a rate of one cube every five minutes so as to not over salt. Stands well. Makes about two servings of about 3-4 cups soup per serving. Add thick sliced french loaf bread and dip.
- I cook everything in a cast iron dutch oven on the stove. Using low sodium beef bullion cubes I usually add 2-4 cubes depending on the brand of the cube. I like black pepper but for a reduced amount use 1/4 teaspoon. This soup is great without the beef if you prefer just an onion soup.