Irish Famine Soup
I posted this recipe to honor those who lived during this dark time in Ireland.
I made this last summer for my grandchildren to teach them how lucky they are to be living in America.
- 1/2 lb
- beef (cooked and diced)
- 1/2 c
- pan drippings
- 5 medium
- onions (diced)
- peelings from a turnip (diced also the turnip greens diced)
- celery tops (minced)
- carrot (diced, including the carrot top)
- potato in it's jacket (diced)
- 4 gal
- 1/3 c
- brown sugar
How to Make Irish Famine Soup
- 1Cook the beef in the fat/drippings. Put in large kettle. Cook the veggetables in the fat/drippings. Put in the kettle.
- 2Put most of the water in the kettle. Pour fat/drippings in the kettle. Put skillet back on the stove and get it very hot. Add some water to it, and stir with a fork to get all the fat and cooked on drippings. When pan is cleaned, add the fat and drippings and remaining water to the big kettle.
- 3Add the sugar and salt. Cook until flavors are melded together. Best served hot.
*** Depending on the size of the family this should last the week.