Delicious Beef and Barley Stew with Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- 2-3 lb
- beef chuck, cut into chunks
- 3 c
- chopped onions
- 1 lb
- button or cremini mushrooms, quartered if small or ¼-inch sliced
- quarter beef or chicken broth
- 3 c
- 2 tsp
- dried marjoram
- 1 c
- pearl barley
- 1 c
- roughly chopped carrot
- 3 c
- celery root, peeled and chopped into ¾-inch to 1-inch chunks
- black pepper
- 1/2 c
- sour cream (around 1 tbsp sour cream per serving)
- chill for garnish
How to Make Delicious Beef and Barley Stew with Mushrooms
- 1In a Dutch oven or other large, lidded pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add enough pieces of the beef to sear in the pot without crowding. You will need to brown the meat in several batches.
- 2Salt the beef as it cooks, and set aside browned pieces in a bowl. When all the beef has browned, add the onions.
- 3As the onions release some of their water, use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Sprinkle a little salt over the onions as they cook. Lower the heat to medium and cook the onions until they begin to brown, 5-6 minutes.
- 4When the onions have lightly browned, mix in the mushrooms and increase the heat to high. Cook the mushrooms until they release their water, about 2-3 minutes. Add the beef back to the pot and sprinkle with marjoram.
- 5Add 1 cup of the stock and use the wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the rest of the stock and water and bring to a simmer. Cover the pot, lower the heat to low and simmer very gently for 1 hour.
- 6Add the barley, celery root and carrots, stir well and recover the pot. Simmer gently until the barley and celery root are tender, between 40 minutes and an hour.
- 7Ladle servings into bowls, then top with a dollop of sour cream and a few sprigs of dill. Grind a little black pepper over right before you serve. To eat, stir in the sour cream.