U.S Senate Bean Soup
Senate Bean Soup can be served on any occassion that warrants a hot,steamy,filling and thick soup such as an Election Eve party (they do have those right?) or modest precinct gathering.
1 lbdried white beans,great northern or navy
·water to soak
1meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
3 qtwater to cook
3 mediumonions,finely chopped
3celery stalks,finely chopped
1/4 cfinely chopped parsley
1 ccooked mashed potatoes (great use for leftovers) or 1/3 cup of instant potato flakes.
·salt to taste (if desired)
1/4 tspblack pepper
·snippets of parsley or chives to garnish
How to Make U.S Senate Bean Soup
- Always wash beans and pick over beans before putting them to soak.Discard any beans that are discolored as well as any pebbles or floating particles.
There are 2 ways to soak dried beans before cooking. The least complicated-if you have time -is to soak them overnight in water to cover 2 to 3 inches above beans,to allow for absorption.Drain beans,discard water and cook.
- If time is a factor,the beans may be quick-soaked be covering them with water and bringing to a boil for 2 minutes . Set aside and allow to soak for 1 hour.Blanching beans for 2 minutes and soaking for 1 hour is the equivalent of 6 to 8 hours soaking.
- Drain beans and place them with the ham in a large (5 qt) soup kettle.Add 3 quarts of cold water.Bring to a boil,reduce heat and simmer over low heat for 2 hours.Skim if necessary.
- In the meantime chop the onions,garlic,celery and parley.When beans and meat have cooked for 2 hours,add the chopped vegetables and the potato to the pot.Simmer for 1 hour longer or until beans are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the bones and meat from the soup.Dice the meat into 1/2 inch pieces and return to pot.Discard the bones,Reheat to serve
- Final Step-This is a hearty,robust dish and so it should have hearty,robust service-from the pot at the table,ladled into heated soup bowls.Garnish with snippets of parsley or chives.
- THE HOUSE VERSION-Only beans,ham hock,and seasoning.The beans are bruised witha spoon or ladle to barely cloud before serving