Something More EZ Split PeaZ
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 lbsplit peas (sorted...don't bother to soak overnight!)
1 Tbspminced, from-the-jar garlic (i love christopher ranch garlic)
1 ccarrots...two or three nice carrots
1 cfinely chopped celery (2 stalks)
3potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 can(s)chicken brothe (low-sodium)
2large, smoked ham hocks (or left-over smoked ham)
How to Make Something More EZ Split PeaZ
- Sort and rinse the split peas. Put into a pot and use 2 quarts of water (just to cover). Let these soak as is (no heat) for an hour or two.
- Chop and dice your vegetables and open a can of beer...(nooo, not to drink, to let it sit and go flat a bit). Set prepped vegies aside.
- Turn up the heat on the peas and bring to a rapid simmer for an hour. Add garlic, marjoram,bay leaves, ham hocks and a can of low-sodium chicken broth. Cook like this for another hour.
- Add prepped veggies, a chicken cube (I use Knorr low-sodium) since these peas do soak up liquid quickly. Simmer for another hour.
- Add the can of flattened beer and turn down the heat. Dice the ham hocks and add with the beer.
- Add your croutons (whichever type you like...we prefer the butter/garlic croutons)...add to the bowl, and eat away. A nice pan of fresh cornbread is always welcome as is a side of fresh fruit salad. Yummy!