SLOW COOKER BLACK BEAN CHIPOLTE SOUP WITH CHICKEN
- 1 lb
- dry black beans
- 2 stick
- celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- carrots, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- yellow onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 c
- crushed tomatoes
- 4 can(s)
- (4 ounces) chopped mild green chiies, drained
- 6 c
- chicken or vegtable stock
- 2 tsp
- 2 c
- left-over cooked chicken pieces either white or dark or both. a broasted chicken cut into pieces would be goodl
- salt and pepper to taste; if you use a broasted chicken you may not to add salt. i didn't add any salt at all,
- optional toppings: chopped cilantro, sour cream, chunky-style salsa
How to Make SLOW COOKER BLACK BEAN CHIPOLTE SOUP WITH CHICKEN
- 1Rinse and sort beans and place in large bowl; cover completly with water.m Soak 6-8 hours overnight. (To qick soak beans, place beans in large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil,over high heat, DO NOT ADD SALT. Boil 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let soak, covered, 1 hour). Drain beans, discard water. You could add 4 cans of drained black beans instead of using the dry bean.
- 2Place beans in slow cooker. Add celery, carrots and onion. You could add another of you favorite winter veggies (ie parsnips, rutabaga).
- 3Combine chipolte peppers, tomatoes, chilies, stock and cumin in a bowl, add to slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 7 to 8 hour or on High for 4 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Season with pepper and salt to taste. I didn't add salt but you could use sea salt or kosher salt.
- 4If you want a thinner soup, prosess mixture in blender, 2-4 soup ladle fulls, to desired consistancy Be sure blender cover is on. Return to pot and add cooked chicken.