★★★★★ 2 votes5
- 1 lb
- dry pinto beans
- 2 Tbsp
- baking soda
- 1 small
- yellow onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 slice
- bacon, uncooked, cut in 1/2-in. pieces
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp
- fresh cilantro, or 1 tsp dried
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 can(s)
- 10 oz stokley's diced tomatoes with green chilies (original)
- 2 can(s)
- 4 oz ea., diced green chilies
How to Make Roni's Bean Soup
- 1Place beans in a medium-size pan and cover with water. Add baking soda and stir. Cover pan and let beans soak overnight.
- 2Rinse beans thoroghly. Place beans in a 4-5 quart crock pot and fill with water. Add onion, bacon, salt, garlic, cilantro and cumin.
- 3Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Two hours before serving, add the tomatoes with green chilies and the 2 cans of green chilies.
- 4Note: Great served with cornbread.