How to Make QUICK BUTTER BEAN SOUP
- 1Combine carrot, all but about 1/4 cup onion and vegetable oil in a large heavy saucepan over high heat
- 2Cook stirring often for 3 to 5 minutes. Vegetables should be softened and turning golden. If they begin to darken reduce the heat.
- 3Add ham and cook 2 minutes more stirring occasionally.
- 4Add canned beans and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil season with salt if necessary and lots of pepper ( freshly ground if possible ).
- 5Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or more the longer it cooks the better it will taste. Serve sprinkled with raw onion and home made corn bread
- 7For slow cooker all-day lima bean soup Substitute one pound dried limas for the canned beans. Cook onion, carrot and ham according to directions. Place in slow cooker with limas. Add 8 cups water along with a little salt and pepper. Turn on low and cook for 8 hours. More or less