PORTUGUESE BEAN SOUP(SOPA DE FEIJAO)
- 1/2 lb
- (1 1/4 cups )dried red beans or roman beans.soaked overnight
- in enough water to cover by 2 inches (about 4 cups of water.
- 6 c
- 1 bunch
- (about 1 1/2,pounds before trimming)kale,rinsed and trimmed of the thick center rib.
- 4 clove
- fresh garlic,finely chopped
- bay leaf
- 5 Tbsp
- of portuguese olive oil(or what ever kind of italian olive oil.)
- 2 Tbsp
- portuguese parsley,finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp
- coarse salt(.you can add more to your taste)
- 1/2 tsp
- of red pepper flakes.(or black pepper)you can add more pepper to your taste.
How to Make PORTUGUESE BEAN SOUP(SOPA DE FEIJAO)
- 1DRAIN AND RINSE THE BEANS.SET IT ASIDE
- 2PLACE the beans in a 4 quart stock pot with 6 cups of water.
Cover and bring it to a boil.
REDUCE the heat to medium- low and simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are very tender.(easy mashed with a fork).
- 3STACK THE KALE LEAVES, a few at a time, on top of one another.
Roll lengthwise and slice crosswise into 1/2- inch wide strips,-like chiffonnade but wider.
CUT the strips again ,crosswise , into shorter lengths,(about 2- inches.)set it aside.
- 4REMOVE about half of the beans from the stockpot and some of the cooking liquid .
USE a food mill,colander,or sieve set over the bowl to process the beans; ONLY bean skins should remain .
DISCARD the skins and return the pureed beans to the stockpot with garlic, bay leave ,and olive oil.
- 5RETURN the soup to a boil.ADD the kale ,parsley ,salt and pepper. RE-COVER Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.UNTIL the kale is tender,but not mushy .
THIS SOUP can be serve simply with crusty country bread and olives and nice glass of white wine.Or Portuguese vinho de port.
- 6TIP (FOR best quality, don't use a hand - held blender to puree soup beans.Because little pieces skin will not fell good stuck in your mouth.
- 7YOU CAN use white kidney beans My mom and grams use white if they had it ,IF not it was the color of the day bean..SHE also would ADD chuck of portuguese sausages.CHOURICO,OR linguanca. ENJOY IT EVERYONE.NOW in time my little diva cook will be doing this recipe.Passing down recipes and making new memories with the grandchildren 5 genarations later