Pinto Bean Soup
1 lbdried pinto beans, washed & sorted
1/2 lblow sodium bacon, cut into 1" strips
1 mediumonion, chopped
2 stalk(s)celery, chopped
1 largechicken bullion cube
1 largevegetable bullion cube
1 tspchopped garlic
1 tspthyme leaves
·fresh ground pepper to taste
How to Make Pinto Bean Soup
- Put washed & sorted beans in 6 qt. Dutch Oven, cover with water about 1" above beans. Bring to a rolling boil for 2 minutes; remove from burner, cover and set aside for an hour.
- Drain beans in colander. Sautee Celery; Onion, & Bacon in Dutch Oven for 10 minutes or so, adding Garlic & Thyme towards the end, or until you can smell the spices in the mixture.
- Dissolve bullion cubes in water in microwave for about 6 minutes or so. Add beans & broth to pot; stir, cover and cook on medium low heat for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- the last 15 minutes of cooking, remove cover and mash a portion of the beans against the sides of the Dutch Oven to thicken the broth and enhance the bean flavors.
- Top with fresh cracked black pepper and enjoy!