Olla Podriada (Spanish National Soup)
- 1/2 lb
- kidney beans, dry
- 20 oz
- garbanzos, with juice
- 2 lb
- onions, vidalia, peeled, medium dice
- 1/2 lb
- celery, medium dice
- 4 clove
- garlic, finely miced
- 1/2 c
- 8 oz
- 1/2 tsp
- saffron. finely crushed
- 2 gal
- chicken stock
- 1 1/2 lb
- chorizo (mexican sausage, mild or medium
- 12 oz
- chicken, cooked medium dice
- 1 lb
- ham, cooked, medium dice
How to Make Olla Podriada (Spanish National Soup)
- 1I like to sock the kidney beans over night then cook them for approximately 2 hours. reserve.
The other way I love is to use a clay pot Saute vegies then combined cook for the 2 hours in a 350F oven.
- 2Saute Onions, selery and garlic in oil in a large soup pot.
- 3Add Rice and saffron. Saute approximately 5 minutes
- 4Add chicken stock and simmer until rice is cooked
- 6Remove outside casing. Cut or dice sauge lenthwise into 4 equal pieces. Slice 1/4 in think. Add to soup.
- 8Note: Chorizos sausage shoulkd be used it available otherwise use Hot Italian sausage.