Old Fashioned Brown Butter Beans
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb
- brown butter beans
- 1 to 2 slice
- country ham or about 1 cup diced ham
- 2 Tbsp
- bacon grease
- 1 Tbsp
- salt or to taste
- 1 tsp
- black pepper
- 1 pinch
- crushed red pepper flakes
How to Make Old Fashioned Brown Butter Beans
- 1Check beans and remove any bad beans, small rocks, or dirt. Once beans have been checked, place beans in a colander and wash thoroughly. Put beans in slow cooker and set aside.
- 2If using country ham slices, cut into small pieces. Put into slow cooker with beans. Add bacon grease and seasonings and cover with water. Turn slow cooker on high setting. Check periodically to make sure beans have enough water.
- 3After a couple of hours or when beans begin to become tender, reduce heat to low and continue to cook for about 3 to 4 more hours or until beans are tender. Serve hot with cornbread. You may also cut up some onions and sprinkle on top and add a little hot sauce, if desired.