Mexican Lentil And Herb Stew
Now, I look for creative ways to mix, match, & mingle lentils into my recipes. Nothing warms you up on a frigid winter night like a big satisfying bowl of stew. This is a one pot hearty healthy dinner w/plenty for leftovers. I used crowder peas frozen fresh from the summer. You can use another bean such as great northern or black beans.
1 Tbspolive oil
1green bell pepper, chopped
1medium onion, chopped
1/2 tspred pepper flakes
3/4 cdry white wine (i used macmurray chardonnay) 1/2 to deglaze and 1/2 added at the end
2 ptfresh or frozen crowder peas or other lentil (but not canned)
1-14.5 ozcan chicken stock
1-14.5 ozcan mexican style tomatoes
2 can(s)progresso tomato basil soup
1 tspdried basil
1 tspdried oregano (i used a mixture of italian and cuban)
1 Tbsptomato paste
How to Make Mexican Lentil And Herb Stew
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or other soup pan over medium heat.
- Add dried herbs and stir around. It only takes about 30 to 60 seconds. Keep stirring so they don't burn. I add dried herbs at the beginning of recipes to release their oils and make them more aromatic.
- Season vegetables with salt and pepper and saute until slightly tender. They will continue to cook when the other ingredients are added.
- Deglaze pan with 1/2 of wine. Cook down for about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Rinse and drain peas.
- Pour chicken stock and peas into pan. Cook about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, soup, tomato paste, and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour in the rest of the wine and cook uncovered until peas are tender, about 45 minutes to one hour.