Hearty "pinto bean and ham" soup
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 pound bag pinto beans (rinsed and soaked)
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 8 cups water (approx)
- 3 medium red potatoes .. diced about quarter size (cooked seperate ... add to soup before serving)
- 4 - 5 medium carrots (cut 1 inch length)
- 1 med-lrg onion diced
- 2/3 cup celery diced
- 2 tbs lousiana hot sauce (optional)
- 1 heaping tbs sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt/pepper to taste
How to Make Hearty "pinto bean and ham" soup
- 1In large soup pot add water and ham bone ... cook until meat can be removed from bone ... when ham is removed from bone add ham back into broth ... add pinto beans and cook on med-high until beans are near tender ... add remaining ingredients (onions, celery, carrots , hot sauce, sugar, garlic powder ,salt/pepper)continue cooking until desired doneness. Add cooked potatoes to soup before serving.
- 2Note: you may need to add more water as you go along .. you be the judge of that.