Ham and Three Bean Soup
Lisa, Mason's Mom
My Great-Aunt used to make this all the time. I just revamped it to make it a little more colorful.
1 tspcanola oil
3 largecarrots, chopped
2 stalk(s)celery, chopped
2 smallonions, chopped
2 clovegarlic, chopped fine
1 cham, diced (i use half a ham steak)
4 to 6 cchicken broth, reduced sodium, fat free
1 can(s)black beans, 15 oz. (drained and rinsed)
1 can(s)great northern beans, 15 oz (drained and rinsed)
1 can(s)dark red kidney beans, 15 oz (drained and rinsed)
How to Make Ham and Three Bean Soup
- Heat 1 teaspoon of Canola oil in a cast iron pot (dutch oven). Medium heat is good.
- Saute carrots, celery, and onion until translucent. About five (5) minutes
- Add garlic, ham, and chicken broth. Bring to slow boil.
- Reduce heat and add three types of beans. (Sometimes I will mash some of the great northern beans first, to thicken the soup)
- Put on the lid and let it simmer for as long as you need it to simmer. You can eat it right away or let the flavors "marry" first.
- Enjoy with a big hunk of crusty bread, butter and Table Syrup!