GIFT IN A JAR: RAINBOW SOUP MIX
Have had some people who hate beans love this and ones who were sacared of making beans say it is easy to make the jar and give and to cook it also.
- 1 qt
- jar, wide mouth if possible
- 3 c
- mixed beans of the following 13 types (to make the 3cups):
- lentils, red lentils, yellow peas, grean peas,
- black eye peas, kidney beans, pinto beans, garbonzo beans,
- lima beans, baby lima beans, great northern beans,
- navy beans, black beans, red beans pink beans,
- ~~seasoing packet mackings:
- 2 Tbsp
- onion, minced, dried
- 2 Tbsp
- beef bouillon, granules
- 2 Tbsp
- parsley flakes, dried
- 2 tsp
- basil, dried
- 2 tsp
- lemonade mix, powdered with sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp
- chili powder
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- oregano, dried
- ~~additional recipe makings (receiver adds):
- 1 can(s)
- tomatoes, crushed (28 oz)
- 8 c
- water, plus 2 inches
- *****see note at bottom
How to Make GIFT IN A JAR: RAINBOW SOUP MIX
- 1YOUR PART - FILL THE JAR:
Take and place all the things listed under seasoning packet and seal them up in a zip lock bag. I find that the "SNACK" size works well for me. If you do not have a zip lock then place in a any plastic bag you have and close as tightly as you can
- 2**Take your beans and start to fill your jar part way. Place the packet in the middle and continue fill with beans till you have the packet covered and can only see beans from all sides of the jar and maybe a little bag from the top of the jar.
- 3When done seal with lid and ring. Add some ribbon to attach the instructions.
- 4**In your bean isle at your store you may be able to fine a bage of 13 bean mix that will have most if not all of these beans and that will work just as well as getting them by them selves.
- 5TO THE MIX IT SELF/ PRINT IT OUT LIKE THIS FOR YOUR GUEST:
1 JAR RAINBOW SOUP MIX
1 CAN TOMATOES, CRUSHED (28 OZ)
8 CUPS WATER, Plus some extra
- 6Remove seasoning packet from beans and set aside.
Rinse and check beans then place in a microwave safe dish.
Cover with water till it is two inched over the top of the beans.
- 7Loosley cover the dish with plastic wrap and cook on high for 15 minutes in the microwave, rotating it after 6-7 minutes.
Drain and rinse beans very well. Then place them in a large soup pot adding the 8 cups of water, cover and bring to a boil.
- 8Lower the heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or tender, stir occasionally.
Add tomatoes and seasoning packet and simmer the soup for another 30 minutes to blend flavors.
- 9~~~~~ Good side note: I give a box of Jiffy corn bread mix or if I have on hand a home made jar of corn bread mix it give it instead.
You can also do biscute mix also.
- 10*****NOTE: If you have a Food Saver System with a large jar seal attachment you can use it to seal wide mouth jars and give them as gifts. There is also a regular size seal but it is easier to fill the wide. When filling jars I find that when doing layers that if you press/compress them you can get every thing in that is needed to get in. I find a canning muddier/press works good for me ;( The picture above is sealed and was a item at a Christmas bizarre)